Reimagining mobile for Carilion Clinic
Carilion Clinic, a not-for-profit health care organization, based in Roanoke, VA, lagged behind regional and national competitors in terms of digital experience. Key conversion tools such as online scheduling were nonexistent and as a result, Carilion’s patient retention and acquisition greatly suffered. Carilion partnered with Modea to build a new web experience focused on patient engagement and conversion.
- Drupal development
- Analytics and data science
Our research showed that over 60% of users viewed the site on a mobile device, however, the majority directly bounced without finding any useful information. Additionally, we found that a large portion of users were entering the site from organic search leading them directly to transactional pages such as locations, provider profiles, and specialty detail pages.
It was clear that the current digital experience did not guide patients to transact on the device they used most; the immediate need was a patient-focused, mobile-first experience.
"To directly meet the need of each persona and a mobile-first user experience, user flows and call to actions were streamlined and crafted for small screen usability."
Through a series of surveys, in-person interviews, and user testing our User Experience designers quickly isolated four main user groups. To directly meet the need of each persona and a mobile-first user experience, user flows and call to actions were streamlined and crafted for small screen usability. Focused on maximizing the speed and simplicity, the new site offers users the complete healthcare digital experience from the palm of their hand. Now a user can book an appointment, find a doctor, pay a bill, or search for a nearby location, all while on-the-go.
- The Agile process, used by our project managers, focused on building the most valuable functionality to Carilion’s consumers.
- Carilion’s search experience was amplified via Solr by strategically selecting synonyms and allowing for natural language search.
- Complete refactor of Carilion’s sitemap, user navigation, and content strategy.
- Replatformed to Drupal 8 in order to create more content management workflow efficiencies and optimize overall site performance.
- Use of Angular allowed our Engineering team to quickly implement design to accommodate increased usability and modern style.
The modern and user-friendly experience brings the main call to actions to the forefront and allows users to interact with the features they use most through personalization. Seven months post-launch, valuable interactions that drive revenue have increased significantly.
Traffic to Detail